Adjunct Professor of Biblical Archaeology
Dr. Titus Kennedy is a field archaeologist working primarily with sites and materials related to the Bible. He has been involved in excavations and surveys at several archaeological sites in Bible lands, including directing and supervising multiple projects spanning the Bronze Age through the Byzantine period, and he has conducted artifact research at museums and collections around the world. His archaeological interests include biblical archaeology, the interplay between ancient documents and the archaeological record, experimental archaeology, ancient demography, and the similarities between cultures of antiquity. He is a Research Fellow at the Discovery Institute, teaches as an Adjunct Professor at Biola University, and has been a consultant, writer, and guide for history and archaeology documentaries and curricula. He publishes articles in the field of biblical archaeology and history, and recently wrote a book focusing on archaeological artifacts connected to the Bible. These credentials make him a valuable contributor to Shepherds’ Department of Biblical Archaeology, where he also serves as an Adjunct Professor and as a Field Archaeologist.
BA Biola University
MA University of Toronto
MA University of South Africa
DLit et Phil University of South Africa
Bronze and Iron Age Levant
New Kingdom Egypt
Roman Period Mediterranean
Artifact Analysis and Photography
Khirbet et-Tell. Director. November 2019.
Soleb Temple Inscription Documentation Project. February 2018.
El-Qanabiz Excavations. Director. 2017.
Deir Dibwan Region Survey. Director. 2016.
Eccleston Pictographs Survey Project, California. 2015-2016.
Mount Zion excavations, Jerusalem. Field Supervisor. 2013, 2014, 2015.
- “The Land of the Shasu (Nomads) of YHWH at Soleb.” Dotawo: A Journal of Nubian Studies volume 6 (December 2019). (https://escholarship.org/uc/item/07x6659z)
- “Jonah’s Journey to Nineveh in Archaeological Context.” Bible and Spade 31:4 (2018): 93-99.
- “The Burial Site of Jesus.” Archaeological Diggings. 2017.
- “Jesus at the Pools of Bethesda and Siloam.” Archaeological Diggings. 2016.
- “Archaeological Excavations on the Western Hill in Jerusalem.” Archaeological Diggings. 2015.
- “Abraham at Ur and Haran.” Archaeological Diggings. 2015.
- “Daniel in Babylon.” Archaeological Diggings. 2015.
- “Papyrus Brooklyn: A List Mentioning Hebrew Servants in Egypt?” Archaeological Diggings. 2015.
- “Sergius Paulus the Proconsul.” Archaeological Diggings. 2015.
- 15 archaeological articles in The Lexham Bible Dictionary. 2011-2015.
- “The Trial of Jesus of Nazareth in Jerusalem.” Archaeological Diggings. Winter 2014.
- “A Haunt of Jackals: The Conquests of Hazor in the Late Bronze Age.” Archaeological Diggings. Autumn 2014.
- “A Note on an Iron Age Four-Horned Altar from Tel Dothan.” Gibson, Shimon; Kennedy, Titus; Kramer, Joel. Palestine Exploration Quarterly 145/4 (2013): 306-319.
- “The Trial of Jesus in Archaeology and History.” Bible and Spade. Fall 2012.
- “A Greek Inscription: ‘Jesus is Present’ of the Late Roman Period at Beth Loya.” Chafer Theological Journal 14:2. 2012.
- “The Los Lunas Decalogue Stone: Genuine or Hoax?” Chafer Theological Journal 14:2. 2012.
- “A Canaanite Massebah or Stele at Khirbet Maqatir?” Bible and Spade. Winter 2011.
- “The Date of Camel Domestication in the Ancient Near East.” Bible and Spade. Fall 2010.
- “The Excavation of El-Qanabiz near Ai,” American Schools of Oriental Research, PNW Meeting. May 2018.
- “Excavating Cities of the Holy Land,” Barakat Gallery, Art in Context. February 2018.
- Society for American Archaeology, Annual Meeting 2016, Orlando. “Eccleston’s Pictograph: The Great Medicine Rock.” Paul Langenwalter and Titus Kennedy. April 2016.
- American Institute of Archaeology, Annual Meeting 2016, San Francisco. “The Bronze Age Temple at Khirbet et-Tell/Ai” January 2016.
- American Schools of Oriental Research, Annual Meeting 2015, Atlanta. “Middle and Late Bronze Age Material in the Area of Khirbet et-Tell?” November 2015.
- Colorado Christian University, President’s Symposium. “Solving Archaeological and Historical Problems in the Conquest of Canaan.” September 2015.
- Colorado Christian University, President’s Symposium. “Jesus in Archaeology and History.” September 2015.
- American Schools of Oriental Research, Annual Meeting 2014, San Diego. “A Demographic Analysis of Late Bronze Age Canaan.” November 2014.